These two amazing rigs have taken the industry by storm with most anglers using some sort of variation or tweak of them. The more anglers using them the more technical and improved these rigs become. Being able to attach the hook to a quick change swivel has changed the way a lot of people now go fishing. Attaching the hook in this manor drastically improves the rigs potential in multiple ways
- ADDS WEIGHT TO THE BOTTOM OF THE HOOK to counter balance pop ups thus removing the human error of applying the right amount of putty or the risk of the putty falling off in the cast. The weight of the swivel allows the rig to flutter down in the same way a chod rig would make the rig ideal for fishing over debris. A lot of new or less confident anglers will find that they get a lot more bites from this rig not due to the hooking potential but for the sheer fact that 99% of the time the rig will land perfectly where as a standard hair would of landed in a tangle or buried in debris.
- ABILITY TO CHANGE THE HOOK quite easily without having to completely tie a new rig. I know a lot of very lazy anglers who will recast the same rig multiple times rather then take 5 minutes to tie up a fresh one. All you have to do is cut off the shrink tube and slide a new hook on its really that simple.
- EXTENDS THE SHANK OF THE HOOK the way I have always looked at it the longer the hook the more chance you have of finding a hook hold as the rig exits the mouth.
- MOVEMENT OF THE BAIT with the bait being attached to the hook via a micro ring swivel the pop up will not only be able to spin in 360 pattern but it will also be able to slide seamlessly up and down the shank of the hook in the same way a blow back rig behaves. With the bait being able to spin 360 degrees it doesn't just mean the bait has full movement but it also means the hook can move independently aswell and anything that can improve the movement of a hook also improves the hooking potential of the rig.
- DIFFERENT HOOKLINK MATERIALS I have seen people using both super stiff hook links such as chod filaments and extremely supply hook links like our uncoated armoured weave. There are selling points for both of these techniques, a filament type boom section will make the reseting capabilities of this rig unbeatable where as a supply uncoated hook link will allow the rig to fly into the Carp's mouth meaning deeper hook holds and more mouth for the rig to find its place.
One of the many improvements I personally have changed in the way I tie my Ronnie and German rigs is to stop being lazy and using ring bait screws and I now use micro ring swivels and bait floss. I have also stopped using Quick Change Ring Swivels as I feel when you open up the Quick Change section you are damaging the integrity of the metal so I have started using 360 ring swivels as the hook slides onto the metal without the need of stretching or bending anything to make it fit. The Quick Change Ring Swivels were never designed to be used with a hook on them however the 360 Ring Swivels are perfectly matched with this style of rig.
Top Tips For Ronnie & German Rigs
With these being incredibly easy and cheap to tie it would make perfect sense to have 10 made up in your tackle bag ready to go. This is now even easier with our Ronnie Rig Packs, which come with everything you need to tie the rigs including a FREE TUB OF POP UPS.
2. ATTACHING THE HOOK
I have also stopped using Quick Change Ring Swivels as I feel when you open up the Quick Change section you are damaging the integrity of the metal so I have started using 360 ring swivels as the hook slides onto the metal without the need of stretching or bending anything to make it fit. The Quick Change Ring Swivels were never designed to be used with a hook on them however the 360 Ring Swivels are perfectly matched with this style of rig.
3. HOOK BEAD POSITIONING
I like to place the hook bead on the shank of the hook half way up making it inline with the barb or hook point allowing the bait to have plenty of movement up and down the hook improving the rigs anti eject properties.
4. SMALL HOOK BAITS
Small Pop Ups have always don't me well when fishing Ronnie Rigs as this has meant that I do not need to add any additional putty to critically balance the rig with the bait. Small hook baits also have a smaller diameter so the bait is less likely to rub against the bend in the shank of the hook and restrict the movement.